Google Webmaster Central

Thursday, March 26, 2020

CORONA VIRUS: MIAMI - THE SOUND OF SILENCE

I can't help it, the sound of silence is coming through loud and clear today and it's not the Simon and Garfunkel song.

It's Miami, the city of Miami, now under both a "shelter in place" and a city wide curfew. It has resulted in an eerie, otherworldly Miami -- one that is more than just asleep. It's in a coma.

When I was a kid visiting Miami, one of the things I could not understand was how damn noisy the place was. I grew up in a tiny town where nobody screamed, nobody made anywhere near the noise Miami generated in just a pocket of itself, never mind the whole enchilada.

And as I got older, at first I looked down my nose at it. Until, that is, I got older still, and started appreciating the noise. And added to the hoopla. 

Damn, Miami, damn. 

I realize why we are all doing this, keeping inside the house, keeping to ourselves in hopes that we crush this freaking Covid 19 virus that any one of us mere mortals would love to strangle, crush, squash to an unrecognizable pulp. 

And then, Miami, you will come to life, again, my friend, now my home. You will make noise, because I will make noise for you. I'll stand in my balcony and holler my lungs out to make up for this creepy, crazy silence that is hovering over you.

We will all make noise, Miami, we will all make noise again. Believe me.

Until then, Amen and pass the toilet paper. 




No comments: