Google Webmaster Central

Monday, March 30, 2020

CORONA VIRUS: MIAMI NOISE

A couple of days ago I scribbled something about the eerie silence that had fallen over Miami on a weekend night. 

Yes, once again we had to thank our new favorite friend the Corona Virus/ Covid 19 bit of slime that has been so much a part of our lives lately.

Miami is a huge city, for those of you who have never been here, it goes on and on and on. And there are a whole bunch of different sections -- many of you see photos of South Beach and the deco hotels and figure the buck stops there.

But it does not -  that's Miami Beach not to be confused with the City of Miami and a whole host of other communities.

I'm not digressing - just making sure you comprehend that the noisemakers this evening were none of the residents of the Downtown Miami/Brickell Avenue/Brickell Key area, which is a residential and business neighborhood. Lots and lots and lots of apartment dwellers.

I got an email inviting me to applaud from my balcony around eight tonight.

Of course, knowing this neck of the woods the way I do, I figured it wasn't going to be just some polite clapping.

It was some howling, some clapping, some banging on metal railings, and a whole bunch of people trying to get the Harry Belafonte theme "De-oh" going.

A fair amount of noise for a first shot, and I can imagine tomorrow and in a few more days my neighbors and I will get our acts in gear and be heard in Fort Lauderdale.

Just be warned.

Amen, and pass the toilet paper. 

No comments: