Google Webmaster Central

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

GLOBAL WEIRDING

I just read an Op-ed piece by New York Times columnist Thomas L. Friedman -- entitled Global Weirding. In it. Friedman talks about the recent spate of weird weather patterns caused perhaps in the eyes of some by global warming. Global Weirding Friedman


My apologies to environmentalists, but there's a part of me that is quite happy that Floridians have spent the winter of 2010 bundling up in wool, and that D.C.'s denizens had to shovel their way out of their driveways and endure a white knuckle drive on the Beltway.

I've endured miserable cold winters most of my life, envied friends who live in the tropics just one step away from a coconut tree and a jewel toned beach. And hey, nothing beats that stuffed sausage look you get from layering winter clothing.


Maybe this is what it will take for people to wake up and smell the gasoline fueling those ever-growing SUVs, or the power boats and jetskis that zoom up and down our waterways. Maybe people will stop using bottled water (an oxymoron) and just buy filters if they have worries. Maybe people will sit down on old-fashioned wooden chairs instead of the plastic uglies that now populate American porches. (Don't get me started on the plastic fences.)


And maybe we can just bury the dog poop, for crying out loud -- I've visions of future citizens digging up mounds of plastic bags filled with Fido's DNA. Tell me that's not global weirding.


Amen, and pass the mustard.

No comments: