Google Webmaster Central

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

SELF DRIVING CARS? EEEK.

California today gave the green light to self driving cars, joining Nevada on that road.

No, we are not talking cars that will zip along the highways by themselves; they must have at least one human passenger.

All those who are touting them claim that these babies will be safer and blah blah blah, I won't go into it here.

Cars are a means of transportation, which is their primary purpose. But as a person who absolutely, positively and totally (find another qualifier and insert here if you will) loves the act of piloting an automobile, this notion not only freaks me out, but totally depresses me.

I am an "active" driver when I get behind the wheel. The ritual: click the seat belt, check all the mirrors, turn the key and look at the various gauges and dials to make sure my car is ready to go. (Okay, I am not Danica Patrick but in another dimension, I could be.) The road is full of problems and pleasures, and I do my best to be in the moment  for whatever is ahead or behind me. 

Don't get me wrong, vehicle safety is paramount. A few weeks ago I had a tire blowout while I was on the freeway and that was no joke.

Self-driving, however? Is this a reaction to motorists (and we have all seen them) who perform assorted functions too numerous to mention while they drive because they are clueless and irresponsible? Not for nothing but I'm not crazy about giving up control of my car and my ability to do something on my own because some people want to send out text messages or put on eye makeup while sitting in the driver's seat.

I respectfully suggest those same individuals take public transportation and get off the roads. That will definitely make them safer for the rest of us. 

Amen, and pass the mustard.


No comments: